Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Yesterday was a pretty relaxing day for me, although I did something nobody will believe. This lady from church told me about a spa she takes all her friends to. It's called fish reflexology. You put your feet in a pool of little fish, and they eat all the dead skin off your feet. I knew I would be trying new things when I came to Singapore, but paying someone to let fish eat my feet??? I went, and once I got over the initial ticklish-ness, it wasn't horrible, but some of those fish were big enough, you could really feel them. It didn't hurt, but imagine 50 fish bumping into your feet. I took a video of it, I'll show everyone later, although all you can hear is my laughing.



The food here has been amazing. Last night we ate on the 39th floor of a hotel, a round restaurant so we could see all of Singapore. We got there right as the sun went down, so we could watch all the lights come on. It made me realize how small of a part of Singapore we have really seen. Monday night before we ate on the Singapore River. All along the river there are probably 50 little restaurants in a row. Across a walkway there are chairs and tables set up right on the river. Each restaurant is a different country's food, and they all have pictures of each dish. They all ask you as you walk by to eat at their food. A lot of stores are like that. The owners follow you through the store as you shop, pointing out things they think you would like.



One of the people at dinner was telling us how hard it is to buy a car here. They only allow 4000 a month to buy a car, so you bid for the right to buy a car, it runs about $10,000. Then you buy a car for about $60,000, then you register it for $20,000. All told, it costs about $ 90,000 to buy a Honda Odessy. Then you have to pay for parking, and a lot of the roads are toll roads. You carry a little machine in your car with like an ATM card in it. Certain roads have a toll plaza that deducts from your card every time you drive through them, different amounts depending on the time of day. It's crazy how much things cost around here. Rent on a 1700 sq foot apartment is $10,500 a month. To buy your own apartment runs over 3 million dollars. Everyone lives in apartments, there are not very many houses.

No comments: